Sunday, April 1, 2007

Trip and fizzle

Remind me never to change my mind once I've made it up. Spent an hour and a half enjoying my own company at the Steelhead dance, standing around like a complete tool until the helpful bartender pointed out the dance ball on the ceiling. Afterwards, it was just a matter of not crashing into the dancing couples as I shook it across the floor. I don't believe I succeeded entirely, but if anyone noticed, they were too polite to mention it to me. I did ask one fellow to dance, but he gave me a friendly brush-off and after that, I didn't attempt it again. Everyone seemed partnered up already, in any case. It was surprisingly disappointing.
On the good side, the attendees as a whole seemed like decent sorts. There wasn't a great deal of general conversation, and the little there was didn't lend itself easily to the interjections of a stranger. Less proof of some inherent flaw in the discussion than evidence of well-established friendships amongst the participants, I know... but still, frustrating for the outsider.
Then again, perhaps they were just terrified by my gargantuan ponytail. Deciding to attend was a very last-minute decision, and after zipping to Naughty Island (where I bought my current skin,) I snapped up almost the first acceptable hairstyle I saw- Winsome I in a rich brown. Then to Desi Beatz for the plainest salwar kameez they had, settling for a charcoal grey one with pale blue embroidery. A swift trip home for adjustments, and then off to the party. Truly a half-assed attempt at a costume, but I was so curious to see what an actual SL gathering was like that I swallowed my pride in regards to my appearance.
Altogether a humbling evening. This is the stage of being a newbie that I absolutely loathe. The best remedy I've found so far seems to be a judicious retreat to a place where one can lie back and bask in peaceful surroundings.

No comments: