Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Oh snap.

Had an unexpectedly grand time last night shooting a couple dozen photos of the CAF in action. The flying da Vinci-esque things and the balloon were so gorgeous up there against the sparkling sky that I couldn't resist. I'm not sure what it is about this place that makes me shy as hell, but it was no different last evening... I just decided, at the end of it, to ignore it and send off the pictures to the Colonel, since he'd mentioned it. Shock and awe, they liked my shots! Maybe I do have something to contribute after all.

It's been a rough couple of weeks work-wise offscreen, and disgustingly summerlike besides, so I haven't been putting much effort into SL. I did, however, download the Avimator, and... muahaha. My god, I love that thing. First project? Replicating poses from famous paintings. If we must be a geek, we might as well be an artistic one. The difficulty this creates, however, is that suddenly I find I may need to buy more... costumes. For the sake of... authenticity. Quite. I'm resigned to the fact that I'm probably not going to become some fabulous fashion designer- I mostly don't have the freaking patience- so this is going to take some serious scouring of the grid. I'll be documenting said scouring in Yet Another Blog, which will be added Sometime Later. It occurs that I have a significant amount of otherwise completely useless knowledge about historical costume (no, I'm not in the SCA; no, I don't cosplay... I just read too much,) so why not put it to use?

3 comments:

Hotspur O'Toole said...

We all start off a little shy, Miss Vivre. I was extremely fortunate to dance my first dance in Caledon with the friendly and loquatious Duchess Bellambi (then, Mistress Bellambi) who rapidly had me out of my shell and enjoying the gracious company at the Snowflake Ball last January. Being full of blarney by nature certainly helps, but were it not for the general friendliness of the populaton (for all of their dignified and formal mannerisms), I would have faltered long ago.

Welcome to Cal, Miss. You have much to contribute.

BTW: the Da Vinci "thingies" are ornithopters, and the big round "ball thing" is the Malaprop Medium Bombardment Vessel. It's not strictly speaking a "balloon", more like an iron sphere with bombay doors that is powered by Cavorite lifting devices. Ah, but I am getting pedantic.

Gloire said...

Thank you, Mr. Skids! ;p May I venture that you were fortunate, sir. I have tried that route, but apparently some things can't be forced. Gentlemen are always more in demand on the dancefloor, and can reject as they like. Either I am ugly, or they are... who knows what. Only OldSarge Dowd, that intrepid soul, has dared to partner me so far. However, I have decided to attend the next ball (or rave, even) in gentleman's attire. I figure that will either broaden my chances or eliminate them entirely, eh?
But Caledonians are, as you say, a friendly and fascinating group- the very reason I keep coming back, despite my own thick shell.
I recognize the term 'ornithopter' as one Miss Tombola has used. Beware, however, that deviations into what some people might consider pedantism are liable to be met with requests for more explanation from me. Or at the very least a tour.

Hotspur O'Toole said...

Miss, I shall be certainly put out if I am not on your dance card for the next Caledon bun-fight..

(Big Grin)

Cheerful conversation my specialty! Perhaps, even a dash of a cynical leer! It's the done thing, you know!

Your Servant

H.